Construction Executive and Director with 19 years of diverse experience. $2.7 billion and 4.52 million square feet of construction project management, development, and redevelopment. Proven interpersonal and leadership skills that focus on customer relations and successful facilitation of internal teams. Established track record of improving business performance by consistently exceeding challenging business objectives. Areas of expertise include, but are not limited to:
Construction Management & Administration Estimating, preconstruction and contract negotiation
Redevelopment, adaptive reuse, and new build Project Billing, Accounts Receivable & Payable
P & L Responsibility, Budgeting and Forecasting Scheduling, phased planning and sequencing
Staff development, training, and safety Strategic Planning & Operational Organization
Union and merit shop experience Regulatory Compliance and Legal Issues
NTP Wireless, LLC., Elk Grove Village, IL August 2014 – Present
Director, Construction Services
AEC and site acquisition firm for the wireless industry, self-performing contractor. Inc. 500/5000 Fastest Growing Company, 2013 & 2014. Business unit level responsibility for all Engineering and Construction services with business unit P&L responsibility. General in-house counsel at the corporate level.
• Increased revenue potential from $1.5 million to $18.9 million annually.
• Financial and annual planning , execute timely business decisions to meet annual goals and objectives.
• Work with architects and engineers to plan construction layout, routing and space usage.
• Assemble, negotiate, and manage all RFPs for construction activities.
• Manage all aspects of the construction process, purchase orders, contracts, budgets, schedules, and submittals.
• Review & negotiate prime contracts, draft subcontracts and purchase orders, manage inventory.
• Lead and manage all field personnel, job assignments, and employee related decisions.
• Function as in-house counsel for all legal matters and engage with outside counsel as appropriate.
Graycor Commercial Construction, Inc., Oakbrook Terrace, IL November 2010 – August 2014
Market Leader / Project Executive
National market leader for responsible for Living and Lodging and Corporate Building verticals. Responsible for all business development, pre-construction, budgeting, estimating, contract negotiation, and operations such as:
• All market sector business development and customer relationship management.
• Developed costs models with company and national data for pro-forma analysis of Gray Capital acquisitions.
• Direct the operations of all ongoing project and contractual work engaged in for living and lodging work.
• Responsible for business unit development, P&L, and revenue growth.
• Negotiate all prime owner contracts for all work associated with the Business Unit.
• Recruit and manage all operational staff and ensure company policy and protocol are followed.
• Developed all Living & Lodging business plans and lead associated strategic planning.
Thomas Construction and Development, LLC, Barrington, IL March 2009 – August 2011
Principal - Provide construction and real estate, legal, compliance and transactional services.
Construction / Operations consulting:
• Oversaw 112 concurrent commercial and industrial projects representing single job and multi-project rollouts.
• Developed key performance metrics in customer satisfaction, project timeliness and profitability keyed to CPM schedule oversight, quality of work in progress, negotiation efficiencies and contract closeout.
• Economized operations, increased construction department profit margins from 6.8% to 11%.
• Construction management and sales of Luxury Homes, multi-million dollar properties.
Attorney provided services:
• Real Estate transactions for the acquisition and disposal of commercial, investment, and residential properties.
• Established compliance protocols of prime contracts, Davis-Bacon Act certification, MBE/WBE qualification.
• Drafted, reviewed, managed, and monitored prime contracts, subcontracts and change orders.
• Negotiated and drafted IT software contracts, independent contract agreements, and other service contracts.
• Drafted contract forms, lien waiver agreements, and purchase order forms tailored to company needs.
• Simplified field manuals for safety policy, environmental and site management of SWPPP systems.
The John Marshall Law School, Chicago, IL June 2007 – March 2009
TA & RA:
• Taught effective dispute resolution and performed legal research for professors.
• Lectured 20 or more law students, on contract negotiation, mediation, and arbitration.
• Researched insurance law, legislative history, case law, insurance commissioner decisions and industry trends.
• Reviewed student assignments and provided constructive feedback on their written and verbal work product.
• The Law Offices of Michael G. Swiatek, Assisted attorneys in construction litigation and dispute resolution.
• Provided support to attorneys in contractual and equity related issues of construction litigation disputes.
• Participated in the discovery of material documents and forensic analysis of complex litigation matters.
• Managed case files and conducted research of legal issues and relevant case law or legislative history.
W.E. O'Neil Construction Co., Los Angeles, CA and Chicago, IL October 2000 – June 2007
Project Manager – (includes self performed structural concrete)
• Preconstruction and construction of over $1.9 B and 3.2 M sf of commercial and residential buildings, includes steel framed, cast-in-place, tilt-up, masonry, precast, wood framed, podium, low medium & high rise buildings.
• Developed $110 million, 61 acre site, 10 miles of offsite infrastructure, commercial campus, multifamily and single family home tract. National historic site; collaborated with local Indian Tribe to recover 763 artifacts.
• New Construction of a 250,000 sf, mixed use project 61 condos with first floor retail lump sum contract, cast-in-place 5 story building with attached parking garage, total capital improvements $86 million.
• Led development and implementation company-wide financial accounting, management and reporting systems, contributed to writing the 190 page policy and procedure manual and led west coast company rollout.
• Preconstruction and estimating of $300 million in capital improvements over several project sites and jurisdictions for renovations and new construction of commercial and residential properties.
• Negotiated prime contracts, subcontracts, and modifications.
• Administered payment systems, and TIF Agreements
Tectonics Construction Inc., Los Angeles, CA August 1998 – October 2000
Project Manager & Superintendent - Boutique firm specialized in high tech, entertainment, and cultural buildings.
Managed the restoration and adaptive reuse of landmarked and buildings of historical significance.
Responsible for budgets over $15 million, schedule, prime contract, subcontract and progress billing administration.
Managed construction, and estimating of commercial, institutional, and industrial projects.
Cogdell Spencer / Erdman, Madison, WI May 1996 – August 1998
Materials Coordinator – Estimator for Ambulatory Health Care and Hospital design/build projects.
Responsible for material budgets of projects exceeding $73.5 million to develop over 430,000 sf of medical space.
Purchased, ordered and coordinated delivery of materials, oversaw specialized installations for project completion.
Oversaw production of fabricated materials for responsible projects at the company’s manufacturing facility.
EDUCATION, LICENSING, & CERTIFICATIONS:
Master of Science (LLM) Real Estate - The John Marshall Law School, 2010
Lambda Alpha International – Honor Society for the Advancement of Land Economics.
Juris Doctor - The John Marshall Law School, 2008
The Morrissey Scholars (Legal Ethics Journal) – Editor-In-Chief.
Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity – Honors Fraternity.
Construction Law Society – Co-founder, President.
Bachelor of Science in Building Construction Management - University of Wisconsin, at Platteville, 1996
Gamma Theta Epsilon – International Geographical Honor Society – Vice President.
Wausau Sterling Homes Scholarship.
Licensed Illinois Attorney #6298209
Licensed Real Estate Broker #475.119887
LEED Green Associate
SWPPP Certification; Caltrans
US Army Corps of Engineers Construction Quality Management Certification